23 Years and Still Riding
Welcome to GEARs. The Greater Eugene Area Riders is a non-profit organization with the mission to promote and encourage bicycle riding for transportation and recreation. We coordinate weekly rides, provide safety and skill education, defend the rights and responsibilities of bike riders, and work to enhance the bicycle culture in Eugene and surrounding area. Membership in GEARs has its rewards! In addition to all of the rides and advocacy work we do, there are additional benefits. Local bike shops and other businesses are now offering discounts for GEARs members. Go to our Bike Rewards page to see a list of participating business members. Join GEARs Now.
If you would like to receive our Monthly Digital Newsletter you can sign-up HERE.
Our next Board Meeting will be 5:30pm Wednesday, June 3rd. The meeting will be held at the Keystone Cafe – 395 W 5th Ave, Eugene. Members and the public are encouraged to attend.
Ride of Silence
Wednesday, May 20
Ride of Silence, a ride to remember our community members who have lost their lives or been injured while riding their bicycles on the streets of Eugene.
Starting point: Educational Memorial Plaza on Bailey Hill Road, 300 meters South from intersection with 18 Ave. West Eugene.
Meeting time: 6:00 pm. Listen to the invited speaker and the reading of the names of members of our community who have been injured and killed on the streets while riding their bicycles.
Ride starting time: 6:30 pm. Ends at the David Minor Theater.
Approximate length of the ride: 5miles (Map of the Route)
“Alone we are but a whisper, together we will speak loudly through a silence that will resonate around the world”
13th Annual Filmed by Bike Festival
Filmed by Bike showcases the world’s best bike movies with curated programs that travel the world and a huge festival here in Portland May 22-24 at the gorgeous, historic Hollywood Theater. I want to make sure your club knows about this year’s new features so you can come and enjoy the full weekend celebrating a love of bikes!
- New Belgium Opening Night Street Party – all ages, free – Velo Cult Bike Shop + Tavern (live entertainment, beer garden, food carts and more)
- The world’s best bike movies: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- Let’s Ride, presented by Yakima. Women’s Programming featuring the important film “Half the Road: the Passion, Pitfalls and Power of women in Pro Racing”, bike ride, beer social, panel discussion and more.
- Adventure Night: Amazing tales of two-wheeled journeys on the rugged road
- Brewery Tour Bike Ride with the filmmakers